Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Moist Apple!

As I was soon to discover, the climate at the shores of the new World would prove to be somewhat moist. To my surprise even the sweet treats I brought here from the other side of the pond have spontaneously reacted to the vast humidity they have been exposed to.

The always knowledgeable Wensworth shared with us his insight, that the phenomena is trivially explained due to the high level of ammonium chloride concentrations found in these tasteful treats.

My humble accouterment proved to be embarrassingly inadequate for such an humid climate. After all, an experienced explorer should never underestimate the perils that Mother Nature may have waiting for the unprepared adventurous soul. Many a street I has forced to wade through with mere sandals for protection.

I would have expected such humid conditions in the backwaters of Her Majesty's colonies in the far East about the equator, but certainly not here. If one is familiar with geography, one knows that this colony formerly known as New Amsterdam lies on the same latitude as Rome!

Did not the good citizens of ancient Rome wear sandals comfortably all year long? Everyone - from peasants to the most distinguished members of the aristocracy! How was I to know the error of my ways!

Fortunately I would soon find resolution, as I was able to locate a local cobbler's shop that could offer suitable footwear for a gentleman's delicate feet, and could thus continue the exploration of the colonies in comfort.

The Isle contained such wonders! Paradoxally, it was the wonders from the Old World that erected the most profound sensations. Particularly I must eulogize the excellent collections found in the Metropolitan Museum. One can not help wonder thought, how such an vast and impressive collection of notable artwork and such expert pieces of craftsmanships from the Old Words has been cumulated into these fairly young settings.

I was also about to discover a new kind of musical colonial musical trend called Jazz! Compliments to the nice fellows from the Roboto Music consort. Such on outcry, that this emerging form of splendid artistic culture is so seriously undervalued in the colonies.

I observed the natives engaging in a particularly peculiar past time activity called "Whacky Sack". According to my findings, this activity involves highly dexterous movements with the object of keeping a small airborne ball from touching the ground with delicate touches with
different body parts, with the exception of ones hands.

I found the game not that dissimilar to the ritualistic game practiced by the ancient Inca priests, with the exception, that the winner of this colonial game is not required to deign to decapitation to please the gods.

If I may be so bold as to ask Paddlewick to provide such an intriguing artifact to add to my collections?

That is all for now! Hoping ol' P-wick a safe journey back home for the holidays!

Maj. Coastnail

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Delightful to hear from You, Sir Coastnail! One does wish that the shoes you found here will offer you comfort & protection foe many a journey in the future! As for the (dubiously) noble sport of whacky sack, I shall look for the required equipment to add to your sportsware collections! Much looking forward to seeing you upon the Yuletide!
Cheeri-o!