Monday, September 11, 2006

Flight of Fancy


One evening last week I met with two other ex-patriates in order to sample and savour excellent single malt whiskies. Naturally we went to my favourite single malt whiskey proprietor, Keen's in Mid-Towne Manhattan. This watering hole has a long tradition of entertaining the most distinguished clientele. Unfortunately modern anti-smoking laws prohibit a gentleman from lighting up his favourite clay-pipe to accompany and enhance the whiskey. But nonetheless, the whiskey was good. All 3 of us chose the Whiskey Flight, a sampling of 4 whiskeys. By a stroke of luck, our goode bartender decided to replace the 10-yr Springbank with a 34-yr version, for the same price! Which was nice. After the whiskey was imbibed & enjoyed properly, my compatriots decided to have a round of beer, while I opted for a soothing Port. Although I usually don't hold the Sandeman Estate in the highest regard, I must complement their 2000 LBV! Should you find a bottle at your purveyor, I highly recommend purchasing one for the cool evenings by the fireplace.
That's all for now; perhaps Wensworth will entertain us next with some tales from the Adriatic?!

Ta,
Paddlewick, whiskey connoseur

No comments: